本文へジャンプ
五泉市トップページ  English  Gosen cultural Heritage

Gosen cultural Heritage

Beauty in form “Jomon Earthenware”

The imperial storehouse remains are representative of the mid Jomon era (approximately 1000-5000 years ago) which include the remains of a village-like cluster, designated a historic site in 1968. In 1960-61 academic investigators were undertaken which revealed two vertical eave holes and circular stone remains. The excavation area was minimal but revealed a number of stone and earthenware artifacts. One in particular was dubbed the “Victory Chalice “for its resemblance to a championship cup. Most Jomon era earthenware experts have noticed the popularity of shallow Jomon earthenware experts have noticed the union of strength in form with beauty in fine detail.


Hakuho. Kannon Bodhisattva

The " Ganjo-ji " ( ji means temple ) situated in Kaware was designated an important cultural treasure in 1960 due to its bronze Kannon Bodhisattva statue. It is estimated that this bronze work is a product o f high craftsmanship Hakuho era (650-700) Buddhist sculpture and casting technologies. This was thought to have been produced in the Yamato region (present day Nara prefecture) Sculpture is the source of pride for Niigata. The right leg positions slightly forward and the twist of the hip lead an air of movement to this work. The slight smile and innate emotion works with the rounded features to bring the character of Hakuho culture to the present day.


Holy places of the middle ages

Memorial pagodas from the Middle Ages has been found in many region of Japan. But the number of “Gorin-senkoku-Toba (or memorial pagodas representing the fire elements of earth, water, fire, wind, sky) are few and far between. However, the number of “Gorin-sengoku-Toba” is much greater in the Shoen-ji, located in Teramachi (literally temple town) Senpukuji in the town of Yazu boasts the oldest, dating back to 1285. The area at the base of the holy mountain Hakusan (White Mountain) was widely known during the middle ages as the holy ground in Echigo.


Cedar Lined Approach to Jiko-ji

The cedars have both sides of the approach to the famous Jiko-ji. Jiko-ji temple is thought to be about 300-500years old. The approach to the temple is roughly 500 meters lined with 137 cedar trees, some with circumferences reaching 67 meters.. This gives the temple an air of historic nostalgia. The Jiko-ji cedar approach was designated as a cultural monument in 1978 by the prefectural culture preservation. In 1403 in the beginning of the Muromachi period, Jiko-ji invited Ketudou-nou-sho-zenji, a Zen monk and ancestor of “Kusunoki Masashige” from Koun-ji temple in Iwafune. In later centuries Jiko-ji became known as one of the four paths in the Zen sect and prospered in Echigo.